NBC News: World News Headlines
Top Sports Headlines
Duncan the Dog Takes them by Storm at Duncan Field
- The Reimer family adopted a dog from Start Over Rover in Hastings right before the American Legion baseball season started. Since Sam Reimer played for Hastings 5 Points Bank, whose home games are played at Duncan Field, the family decided to name the dog Duncan.
Kathy Reimer is the caretaker of the little doggie. Others pet him and play with him at the ballpark. He is good company during the breaks in the games. The Reimers have even taken Duncan on the road. He was spotted at Memorial Field in Kearney where the Hastings 5 Points club played in its A-7 district tournament before the state at Duncan Field, where Duncan attended both 5 Points games.
GI Home Federal Advances To State Semi-Finals in Hastings
- Grand Island Home Federal advanced to the Hastings portion of the American Legion Nebraska State Tournament Sunday night with a 6-4 win over the Mustangs of Millard North. The win sets up Home Federal against the Titans of Papio South in the winners bracket Monday night at Duncan Field. The winner of that game has the inside track on playing for the American Legion State Title.
Hastings 5 Points and Kearney Runza drop American Legion state openers
- Over in Omaha, the Kearney Ruzna club dropped its Legion State opener 2-0 while in Hastings the Hastings 5 Points club fell to Millard South's 52 Patriots 7-2. At press time GI Home Federal had a two run lead over the North Platte 1st Nationals 9-7 the 8th inning. Papio South and Millard North were winners in the Hastings tournament.
Duncan Field Awaits American Legion Baseball Tournament
- Hastings 5 Points takes on Millard South while the GI Home Federal squad meets the North Platte Nationals in their first games of the double elimination American Legion State Tournament Saturday. Over in Omaha it is the A-7 District winner Kearney Runza club facing Papio at 10:00 AM Saturday.Once these tournaments are over the winners will meet to unify the title. Both will move onto regional play after that.
Area Teams Get Ready for State Baseball Legion Tournament
- While the Kearney Runza club goes into the American Legion baseball state tournament on a roll, the same cannot be said for the Grand Island Home Federal team. Home Federal dropped a doubleheader to Columbus 6-4 in 11 innings and 12-10 thereby losing the A-6 district to the Discoverers for the first time in 12 seasons. Home Federal still gets to go to the state tournament, but to the Hastings portion, not to Omaha where they expected to go.
Going to Hastings, though, may be a blessing in disguise because that division doesn't seem to be a strong as what they would face in Omaha. Both divisions of the state tournament start Saturday at 10:00 AM.
More Top Sports Headlines