NBC News: World News Headlines
Top Sports Headlines
State Golf Championships: Day 1
- Wednesday, high school golf's elite hit the courses across Nebraska for day 1 of the state tournament. Two of those courses are right here in central Nebraska.
State Golf Preview: Grand Island Central Catholic
- Heading in to this golf season, Grand Island Central Catholic coach Craig Rupp knew this years team was going to be special. He was right, and as the Crusaders head to the state tournament for the first time as a team in the last 4 years, they are ready to finish what they have started.
Ord Golfers District Champs, Ready For State Tourney
- The Ord Chanticleers came to Indianhead Golf Course last week and took the Class C-4 district tournament defeating the host GICC Crusaders by three strokes. Both teams will be at Holmes Golf Course in Lincoln for the Class C State Tournament Wednesday and Thursday. The Chants, who return their top four golfers from last season's fifth place finish, feel they can contend for the title this time.
Standing in their way could be Wahoo Bishop Neumann who have Hannah and Haley Thiel who play on the boys team since there is no girls team at Neumann. Nonetheless, they make the Cavaliers contenders. GICC will also be in the mix with Eshan Sood leading the way. The other tournaments will start Wednesday and conclude Thursday. Class A is at Highlands in Lincoln, Class B at Riverside in Grand Island, and Class D over at Meadowlark Hills in Kearney.
Wayman James Of Nebraska Danger Player of Year Candidate
- Nebraska Danger running back Wayman James has been the "Go To" guy for the team especially in recent games. Wayman rushed for 111 yards and 5 touchdowns in the Danger 67-57 win over the Colorado Ice Saturday night at the Heartland Events Center. The win gives the Danger a 9-2 record and 2 game lead in the IFL Intense Conference with 3 regular season games to go.
On the season, Wayman has rushed for 646 yards and scored 17 touchdowns. He and quarterback Jameel Sewell have made a great combination through 11 contests
Jameel, IFL Offensive Player of the Year two seasons ago is without his leading receiver Kayne Farquerson dismissed from the team two games ago, but James has stepped up nicely. The Danger now have a short week before their rematch with the ice in Loveland Friday night at 8:30 CST. We'll see if Wayman James, t he former TCU Horned Frog running back can have another difference making game/
Danger Hold Off Ice In Grand Island
- Trailing 26-16, it was no problem for the Nebraska Danger to come from behind once again Saturday night at the Heartland Events Center.
With Wayman James leading the way with five touchdowns, the Danger defeated the Colorado Ice 67-57 to improve to 9-2 on the season. The Danger have already clinched a playoff spot and will be in action in the first round at least after the June 12 season finale.
The Danger will travel to Colorado for a rematch with the Ice Friday night May 29 on a short week.The game was a score-fest which is usually true in this league but a strong second half surge was enough for the win as the Ice drop to 3-8 on the season.
More Top Sports Headlines