NBC News: World News Headlines
Top Sports Headlines
Tommy Armstrong Man of the Hour for Husker football
- The past seven years in college football, all of which Nebraska was coached by Bo Pelini, only three major college programs won 9 games or more each season. Those teams were Oregon, Alabama and Nebraska.
The Huskers secured their 9th win in the season finale, an overtime victory in Iowa City over the Iowa Hawkeyes. Two days later, Pelini was dismissed as head coach. Oregon State's Mike Riley was hired several days later.
Riley's record at Oregon State during two different tours of duty is 93-80.
It is unusual for a coach to take over a program that had 9 wins the season before. Most of the time, teams that oust coaches have losing records and declining attendance Not true at Nebraska..
Some were upset with Pelini's firing, others supported it.
The situation is remarkably similar to the dismissal of Frank Solich after the 2003 season at Nebraska. In both cases the Huskers had 9 wins. In both cases a former NFL coach was hired, Bill Callahan in '03 for the '04 season and now Mike Riley. In both cases the new coach said more of an emphasis on the passing game would be put in place.
Nebraska opens the season September 5th hosting BYU.
Coach Riley Makes Big Ten Media Days Debut
- "Were in a good place right now, were undefeated and just starting our history at Nebraska." said Head Coach Mike Riley in his first time at the Big Ten Media Days podium in Chicago.
VIDEO: Nebraska Football Coach Mike Riley Talks About the 2015 Season at Big Ten Media Days
- Nebraska Football Coach Mike Riley talked about the 2015 Husker Season at Big Ten Media Days in Chicago Friday morning.
Giltner's Ott at Big Ten Media Days
- Day one of the Big Ten media days is in the books. Friday, Nebraska head coach Mike Riley will take the podium at the event for the first time as the head Husker.
Changing the Game at UNK: A Two Part Series
- Dr. Paul Plinske is heading into his third year as UNK's athletic director. In his short tenure, he's made coaching changes, headlined a deal with Under Armour, and had numerous athletic facility improvements. But it's only the beginning of whats to come for the Lopers, in part one of the special report, Changing the game at UNK.
More Top Sports Headlines