HASTINGS, Neb. (KSNB) - Many people will be hosting family and friends for the holidays.
If you are looking for something different to bring to the dinner table, there's a simple recipe you can try for a Christmas, New Year's or anytime of the year.
Mary Lanning Healthcare Dietitian Shannon Frink stopped by NBC Nebraska Today to show us how to make a pomegranate pear salsa.
Pomegranate Pear Salsa
All you need:
- 1 pomegranate (2 cups seeds)
- 1/4 cup of 100% pomegranate juice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup of minced red onion
- 1/4 cup of freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 medium Bartlett pear, cored and diced
All you do:
1. If using whole pomegranates, cut off crown, core each pomegranate and place in a large bowl of water. Break pomegranates open underneath water to free seeds. Scoop seeds away from fruit membrane. The membrane will float; and the seed will sink to the bottom. Strain away membrane and water and place seeds in bowl.
2. Add pomegranate juice and lime juice to seeds; toss to coat evenly. Add minced red onion, cilantro and diced pear; stir to combine. Sprinkle honey over seed mixture and stir to combine.
3. Serve with tortilla chips or use as a garnish for fish or chicken.