GRAND ISLAND, Neb. -- One person is displaced after a late night house fire in Grand Island.
The Grand Island Fire Department was called to a structure fire on north St. Paul Road, just before 11:30 p.m. Sunday night.
Shift Commander Ed Carlin tells NBC Nebraska the homeowner fell asleep on the couch with a candle still burning. He said the woman woke up to flames in her living room.
When firefighters arrived on scene, flames were visible inside the home. Crews were able to quickly put the fire out. They remained on scene for about two hours.
Carlin said there is an estimated $15,000 in damages to the living room and an upstairs bedroom.
The Red Cross assisted the homeowner for the night.
No injuries were reported.